At Bishop Ian Ramsey, we believe that homework is an opportunity for parents and carers to become active partners in supporting learning. Homework can help promote a positive attitude to learning at home and show children that home and school are working together in partnership. We believe that homework should reinforce lessons taught in school and give the opportunity for applying learned skills.
Homework at BIR is broken into two key elements: Core Homework and Optional Topic Homework.
- Practise of Number Bonds/Times Tables and other maths facts (as appropriate to year group)
- Spellings (as appropriate to year group)
Optional Topic Homework
- On our Class Pages, you will see a list of topics that are covered by each class each half term.
- We encourage the children to complete any activities or projects at home linked to these topics. For example, if their topic is Ancient Egypt, they might make a model of the pyramids, research and present facts about the River Nile or design some Ancient Egyptian jewellery.
- This optional topic homework invites the children, siblings and parents and carers to spend time together, collaborating and having fun when completing any projects.
- We then encourage the children to bring their Optional Topic Homework into school, so that they can share their homework with their class teacher and classmates and present it to the rest of the class.
Please find further information about the Homework for each class in the letters below.